With more than 20 years of experience with interior decorating, Baroness Monica von Neumann offers tips on how to add warmth and romance to your home without breaking the bank.
1. Because I love to cook, I think it’s important in design. I have all of my fruit and tomatoes in big silver dishes; I display my basil in the kitchen in a nice dish with water. They are beautiful, so why not use them in your décor?
2. I make vignettes on tabletops, but I don’t overload them. I put things that speak to my character: art books, a nice bowl with scented candles next to it.
3. I try to bring some greenery inside. If not a plant, then place succulents or orchids on a table in the entryway or create a vignette with different shapes and sizes to bring life into the house.
4. Lighting is key, especially in a contemporary house since it could be cold if you don’t light it right. Dimmer switches and lights used to highlight artwork or a vase full of roses create a romantic ambiance.
5. A nice, simple area rug brings warmth into a space, while pillows do wonders to bring color into your home. Purple colors add a pop of color to a neutral-colored couch or chair.
By Justine Lopez
Photography by Bret Gum