Dressed with timeless details, a small kitchen gets big points for easy, clever storage solutions that serve double duty.
This retro-styled kitchen reflects the homeowner’s passion for collecting and decorating with vintage finds. “There is nothing better than seeing vintage items put to good use,” interior designer Kimberly Kostka says. Her design firm, Room Service, offers a budget-friendly technique that employs her talent for rearranging and better utilizing a client’s own furnishings and décor.
In her galley kitchen, Kimberly strategically placed open shelves, but the tin canister collection is more than just a homey display. “I use all my tins for organization pieces,” Kimberly says. “I have everything from tea and candles to linens in there.” The red touches throughout unify the look.
Visually, the canisters offer a great solution to keep the open shelving tidy looking, too. Other collections that could play two roles include vintage seed boxes, cookie jars, baskets, bowls, hatboxes, old grocery displays, French flower buckets, sewing boxes, small travel cases and galvanized tins.
To get classic style for your kitchen, follow Kimberly’s lead:
• Pale yellow walls and creamy woodwork make a crisp backdrop.
• Repurpose vintage tablecloths or linens so they serve double duty as cheery curtain valances.
• A subway tile backsplash adds texture and cleans up easily.
• The matte, brushed nickel-finish fits the retro-inspired faucet and bin pulls.
• Double-hung windows let in lots of light and fresh air.
• A wide windowsill can hold potted flowers, herbs or favorite trinkets.
• Use plate holders to display a child’s plate or other cherished pieces.
• Wood countertops offer old-fashioned warmth.
• Faux beadboard cabinet and drawer faces give a nod to the past.
• Bring in other classic elements with retro-styled appliances, vintage spice jars, linens and more.
To buy these types of products visit: http://www.plaidparasol.com/textiles/canvas-bucket
By Hillary Black
Photograph by Jaimee Itagaki
styled by Jacqueline deMontravel