With wine corks and simple embellishments you can make a pretty holiday wreath to display or give as a gift. Here’s how:
What you’ll need:
14-inch straw wreath form
Approx. 8-inch length wire for hanger
Serrated knife or other cutting tool
Hammer and small nail (to put a hole through the cork)
Floral pearl pins
Beads, ribbon and other embellishments as desired
How you’ll do it:
1. Shape a loop out of the wire to make a hanger about 4 inches long.
2. Use plastic twine to attach the hanger to the back of the wreath, looping the twine around the wreath to secure the hanger. Add glue to create a tight hold.
3. With a serrated knife or other cutting tool, cut corks in half.
4. Hammer a nail all the way through each cork half from top to bottom to create a hole. Pull out the nail with needle-nose pliers.
5. For each cork half, put a bead or two through a floral pearl pin and push the pin through the hole in the cork.
6. Using a glue gun, glue the pin and bottom of each cork into the straw wreath. Place cork pieces as close to each other as possible until the front, outer and inner sides of the wreath are covered.
7. Glue on any other embellishments, like artificial berries, leaves, etc.
8. Tie on a ribbon and bow to finish the wreath.
By June Kuramoto
Photography by Hillary Black