Valentines for Grownups!
Remember your elementary school Valentine’s Day parties? You would all bring in a shoebox, decorate it with paper hearts, stickers and doodles, then collect various valentines from your classmates.
For a grownup Galentine’s Day party, we’ve got our own version of the classic valentine—a compliment jar! This home-decorated jar acts as both a party activity and a take-home favor. Instead of receiving Ninja Turtle and Dora the Explorer valentines, your guests will take home a jar full of heartfelt compliments from friends. Here’s how to do it.
- Jam or Mason jars (one per person)
- Decoupage material, such as Modge Podge
- Foam paint brush
- Fine glitter in red and pink
- Painter’s tape
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
- Cardstock or scrapbook paper of choice
- Permanent marker
- Extra embellishments
- Double-sided tape
How to Do It:
- First, tape off the middle section of each jar with painter’s tape. Make sure there aren’t any gaps or bubbles along the bottom edge of the tape.
- Pour some of the decoupage material into a small container (we used an old food can) and mix in the glitter until it reaches your desired sparkle.
- Use a foam brush to paint the bottom portion of each jar, up to the painter’s tape. Set the jars aside to dry.
- Hot glue a piece of ribbon to the lid of each jar. Feel free to add a bow if you want!
- Cut out name tags for each jar from the cardstock. Write the name of each guest on the tags, then embellish them with stickers, gems, glitter glue or tiny pearls.
- Use double-sided tape to attach the name tag to the front of each jar.
At the party, set out the jars for each guest, along with small bits of paper and pens. Your girlfriends can write each other compliments and put them in the appropriate jars, then take them home and read about why you’re all friends!
For more Valentine’s Day party ideas, check out this post!
Photography by Henry deKuyper
Special thanks to Havilah Steinman