What better way to say “I love you” than with delicious, decorated heart cookies? These Valentine’s Day cookies are the perfect way to show special someones just how much they mean to you. These cookies are very easy to decorate. All it takes is a little time, handful of ingredients and a whole lot of love.
Ayda Algin’s Favorite Sugar Cookies
Decorated or not, these cookies will be the sweetest thing this Valentine’s Day!
3½ tablespoons margarine, softened
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to ¼-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. When the cookies are done, they will look dry but will still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks.
Decorate with Lacy Fondant
Your heart shaped sugar cookies
A piece of white patterned Nylon material (for the lace pattern)
White sugar paste or fondant
Red liquid food coloring
A heart shaped cookie cutter
Non-stick rolling pin
- Start by dividing your sugar paste into pieces, each about the size of a walnut.
- Add small amounts of food coloring until you reach the desired color. Knead the food coloring into the sugar paste until it’s thoroughly blended. Add more color as needed until the desired hue is achieved. If a color ends up too dark, add more white sugar paste to lighten the tone.
- I made four different shades of pink and kept one ball white. After you knead the color into the fondant, wrap the fondant in plastic wrap and place in an airtight plastic bag. Then place it in a small box or plastic container to keep it from hardening until you are ready to use it.